RE: [SKOS] A new proposal for ISSUE-39 ConceptualMappingLinks

From: Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:34:07 -0000
To: "Alasdair Gray" <agray@dcs.gla.ac.uk>, "Antoine Isaac" <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Cc: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Hi Alasdair,

> It is funny the way these things work, but this issue is now
> starting to appear within the work on developing vocabularies
> for astronomy [1].
> My interpretation of the fact that there is development of a
> skos mapping vocabulary, which has been further confirmed by
> Antoine's email, is that the semantic relationships defined
> in the skos core [2] are to be used only for relationships
> between concepts in the same scheme.
> However, this is not explicitly stated in the text of the skos core.
> Will this be changed in the next version of the skos core?

We don't know yet, it's under discussion. Do you have any preference?

> A question I would like to raise is how can I specify a
> mapping between a collection in one vocabulary and a concept
> in another? It really is the collection as a whole that
> matches the concept. However, the collection becomes an
> anonymous node in the rdf. Is it the case that each member of
> the collection should be specified as a narrowMatch of the concept?

It'd be great if you could give us some more detail on this particular requirement, e.g. the actual concepts you want to map between.

Alistair Miles
Research Associate
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus
Web: http://purl.org/net/aliman
Email: a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk