Re: Modeling change in and between schemes using SKOS - the problem of persistent URIs

From: Joseph Tennis <jtennis@interchange.ubc.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:16:54 -0700
To: SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hello all:

I hope to respond in depth to all emails relating to this issue, but
I want to quickly ask a question:

What is the difference between what we've called Concept and
InstanceConcept and what Mark suggested as a global URI and a local
URI?  I want to be sure I have followed the substance of the
conversation.

Thank you,
joe

On 29-Aug-06, at 8:04 AM, Aida Slavic wrote:

>> Another solution might be to distinguish between the (global) URI and
>> (local) edition identifiers. Christianity would get one global URI
>> and
>> two properties to define the local ID per edition.
>
> If I am not wrong this would also be the solution for another frequent
> scenario
> e.g. for synthetic schemes.
> When these are applied locally they create compound concepts that
> do not
> exist
> in the scheme of origin. Also schemes may be used with some local
> variants.
> In this case, for instance, global URI would be the one of standard
> scheme
> edition
> while classification authority files would contain global+local URI
> (?)
>
> aida

Joseph T. Tennis, PhD
Assistant Professor
Coordinator for the MAS and MLIS First Nations Concentration
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
The University of British Columbia
301 - 6190 Agronomy Road
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3
CANADA