Re: extensions for faceted classification schemes

From: Leonard Will <L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:35:25 +0100
To: public-esw-thes@w3.org

In message
<677CE4DD24B12C4B9FA138534E29FB1D0ACDC9@exchange11.fed.cclrc.ac.uk> on
Tue, 11 Oct 2005, "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk> wrote
>Hi all,
>
>... and here's one I prepared earlier:
>
>http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/appextens
>ions.html?rev=1.7
>
>I had intended to hold this back till after the second review is
>concluded, but couldn't resist :)
>
>After the second review is concluded I'll add 'extensions' as a
>proposal to the proposals list, and we can discuss more fully.

Alistair -

I'll not go into substantive discussion of this at the moment, as you
suggest, but just note that I think you have a typo in it which may
confuse people. In that document you say:

>In a 'post-coordinate' concept scheme, concepts are meant to be
>combined by the indexer into more meaningful units, at the time the
>indexing is done.

This is "pre-coordinate" indexing, not "post-coordinate". In
"post-coordinate" systems the concepts are not combined (or coordinated)
until the search stage, when they may be included in a Boolean search
statement by the searcher.

You can think of the pre- and post- prefixes as relating to the linking
of concepts occurring before or after the indexed documents are stored
and made available for use.

Leonard
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092