Creating a terminology extension for SKOS

Hi, Miles, et al.,
This response opens up an interesting set of issues. Laurent Romary, who is
the designer of our MDR is indeed using rdf notation to specify the data
categories themselves, but we haven't explored the issues involved in
expressing the whole of the TMF in rdf -- or at least not that I have seen.
However, Laurent tells me that he's been working on a crosswalk for the
concept-system-related data categories more or less in parallel with the
work that Alan, Gerhard Budin and I did in just mapping the data categories
to SKOS components. It wouldn't surprise me if Laurent's stuff is expressed
or could be expressed in rdf. All this does indeed need to become part of
the upcoming TC 37 expanded work on concept systems, which is slated to use
a good deal of UML modeling. The question arises in my mid how far we want
to go with this. I've been focused on the data categories that reflect
concept relations and semantic content. There's also a huge amount of
so-called administrative data and other informational data included in many
terminology systems that may or may not be relevant to interoperability
between various concept schemes, but which may well be the content that
people are looking for when they follow these leads into the terminological
environment.
 Bye for now
Sue Ellen

--