RE: Quick Guide to Publishing a Thesaurus on the Semantic Web

Just a word of general support for this approach. I agree with the
reservations that have been expressed about the need for a "modelling
commitment" (btw, not exactly sure what that means, but hopefully the
idea is to get the data model right) first, before expressing this in
xml format.

I interpret Leonard's point as a bit of scepticism about whether this is
useful, before we can see any applications that stand a chance of using
it appropriately. But this is a chicken-and-egg argument - many links
are needed in the chain that conveys information from its source to its
ultimate users, and if no work commenced on any of the links before the
others were in place, we'd never get anywhere. (And by the way, I'm
sceptical about the Semantic Web too!) To achieve progress, sometimes we
have to be able to demonstrate ahead-of-their-time methods just to
stimulate the imaginations of the people who will turn them into real
useful projects.

Returning to the question of xml formats, while progress on BS8723
continues to be wretchedly slow (mea culpa - just too busy with the day
job) I hope that eventually it will include recommendations on both the
appropriate data model(s) and on expressing these in xml format. And the
SKOS thinking will hopefully feed into this. If anyone on this list
would like to comment on drafts of Parts 1, 2 and 4 of BS8723 and has
not already seen them, please let me know.

Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk