RE: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] skos:denotes

Hi,

Although Danbri had me convinced [1], I found Dave R's argument compelling
[2].  Both points of view seem good to me, or at least appropriate under a
particular set of circumstances.

So here's an attempt to accommodate both points of view ... what if we do
the following:

(1) Add a new property 'skos:denotesSameAs' to SKOS Core, which is
*symmetric* and which carries essentially the same semantics as
skos-map:exactMatch.

(2) Add a new property 'skos:denotesClass' to SKOS Core, with domain
skos:Concept and range rdfs:Class, *as a sub-property of
skos:denotesSameAs*.

(3) Add a new property 'skos:denotesIndividual' to SKOS Core, with domain
skos:Concept and range rdf:Resource, *as a sub-property of
skos:denotesSameAs*.

So (1) establishes the underlying ontological commitment that a skos:Concept
sits at the same level of abstraction as an RDFS/OWL Class/Individual.
However, (2) and (3) allow the *directionality* of such a relationship to be
captured, where that is required.

Er, re-reading that it back to myself, it sounds potentially a little shaky,
but I'll post this anyway, and hopefully it will stimulate more ideas.

Al.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Sep/0067.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Oct/0005.html

---