RE: candidate and deprecated concepts

No time to explore this in detail. But there is a grey area in the
definition of "concept", concerning broad concepts and narrow concepts.
The concept of Tropical products is quite a broad one, broader than
Tropical fruits and much broader than Bananas. So in one sense it holds
all those narrower concepts within it, and the broader term becomes the
preferred term for those narrower concepts. In this sense, the narrower
concepts are still there, whether or not their presence is revealed by
providing a non-preferred term. Another way to look at it is to say No,
you should use Tropical products only in the context of queries or
documents that deal with the subject broadly. And when narrower
preferred terms are present, that is what we do say. But when the
narrower terms are non-preferred, pointing to the broader one, we
usually allow that broader term to be used for all the narrower concepts
within its scope. Sorry, I am not articulating this well. It is just a
pragmatic way of dealing with concepts that works fine when you have
trained people using the thesaurus. But open to all sorts of hazards
when the process is automated.
Must dash. Not sure if that helps.
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk