Re: EOCred: recognition of credential

I would posit that recognition is a different type of action than
accreditation. Recognition asserts that this organization consumes the
specified credential, whereas accreditation projects an organization's
authority onto the credential, saying not only do they recognize it, but
that if you recognize the organization's authority, your organization
should too recognize it.

I think the observation that Recognition is a subproperty of Accreditation
is accurate, but the action of accreditation, I believe, is distinct (and
superior).

As an example from:
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/first-street-accord.aspx

*In 2012, the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) and American
Psychological Association (APA) through its Commission on Accreditation
(CoA) approved and signed the First Street Accord. The accord is a mutual
recognition agreement on accreditation. It demonstrates that the APA CoA
views the accreditation standards and principles of the CPA as equivalent
to the Commission on Accreditation's guidelines and principles. Similarly,
the CPA views the accreditation guidelines and principles of the Commission
on Accreditation as equivalent to the accreditation standards and
principles of the CPA. This mutual recognition agreement applies only to
the accreditation activities each association undertakes in its own
country. It is an agreement that recognizes the equivalence of the systems
of accreditation of the CPA and APA and does not confer any reciprocal
accreditation status on any of the programs they accredit.*

I have trouble parsing the above, but what I believe they state is that
they recognize the equivalence of their practices (and may therefore
largely recognize each others awarded credentials) but do not
cross-accredit the credentials.

Recognition is also a big deal in international degree transfer, but I'm
not versed very well on the specific mechanics of that area.