Re: Challenges and Opportunities in Big Data Webcast (March 29, 3PM EDT)

First my apologies on the misssppellinngg in post the other day on this topic-- 80hr work week, allergies, on the run and Outlook auto/send spell check failed--which historically only happens when sending to public.. still shouldn't happen.

Some thoughts on this topic and the linked post

1) I don't think it's useful to consider the U.S. Gov't as either state-of-the-art or competitive -- usually on serves to misinform and prevent improving competitiveness. While large sections, many components, and many individuals are of course, as a unified organizational system, economic entity, functional system, and/or reflective of political system it is clearly not -- this is not intended as a jab but rather based on clear evidence. From an old management consultant's perspective it was always a challenge to move clients towards awareness and acceptance of unbiased evidence, which can only speak for themselves if the ear piece is turned on --and eyes are not looking away from the increasingly bright lights of the train. In looking back when faced with an organization that actually believed the press releases -- especially when claiming world leadership, the predictive modeling was in every case I recall quite poor. Math tells a good story, but only when allowed.

2) The web cast by Gus Hunt was I think especially valuable and appreciated -- perhaps more common now but quite rare in the past. I found myself in almost total agreement from evidence-also rare and telling, esp. given a radically different  perch from which to form perspective. Well done.

3) Specifically on the acquisition/ cloud topic -- of course has been discussed in similar ways since the commercialization of the web and yet remarkably resistant to adoption--cloud helps for data, it's one of those many things that sound great but when tested haven't worked terribly well. I do see one specific issue that is interrelated from current private sector case that may add value. Directly and through well-known and highly respected prospective partner we have large organizations interested in our pilot, which is very much in line with the goals outlined here, standards, etc., but it is unlike most in that it's an organizational system. What we are finding in some cases is that part of the organization has adopted standards - R&D for example, but not on the business side /DW. IBM's DB2 news along with Oracle and other options like nosql make possible, but I constantly run into advocates who seem to think that one can solve the world's problems with an app -- actually the evidence is quite strong that entire organizations must be functioning at a high level to serve missions, and in making organizational systems available in this model (speaking to the call for developers to take a big risk here--many have tried in past and gov't goes back to same well), the back of the house prep needs to have been done. We just observed a big disconnect between a CTO and CIO in this regard in an important global company -- in this case the CTO was ready, CIO wasn't and CEO is still pretty clueless.

4) Another issue that many have been working on behind the scenes for years that I think is worth repeating due to a recent experience.

A CIO in a large government entity was referred to our pilot from internal experts (the gov't market hasn't been a priority for us, despite need and good match otherwise--although this issue is not restricted to any sector)

He reviewed our material and reported back that he didn't see how our system would help an IT team....

Mountains of material internally and externally, including the introductory letter he was responding to clearly stated that it's an organizational system with incoming directly from his stakeholders and supervisors, but this was the response. It speaks perhaps in part to the CIO alignment issue but also many other factors, including acquisition, education, revolving door syndrome, perhaps more structural innovation barriers, and IT governance.

I cannot waste any additional effort on the organization -- it could have serious implications for their related economy and competitiveness. Even with increased awareness the importance of IT architecture on economics needs much light obviously. Pretty shocking to see confirmation that a CIO of a large gov't org is still expecting team and career to be personally served by vendors rather than the mission of the org-- a culture reflective of Katrina among others.

5) A couple of links from our work that may be of interest -- neither promotional in any way, but may be informative if not providing some future visibility --

Legacy of the Tōhoku Earthquake: Moral Imperative to Prevent a Future Fukushima Crisis
http://community.forrester.com/docs/DOC-5556
(non-technical- more policy and governance related)

What’s Wrong With the Neural Network? Lack of Data Structure that Enables Governance
http://kyield.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/whats-wrong-with-the-neural-network-lack-of-data-structure-that-enables-governance/
(more technical speaking- just a bit to cyber security and data structure relative to Internet governance as opposed to just the Web-- quite a bit of confidential information on this I can't share but important overview)

--MM-- Kyield