RE: Challenges and Opportunities in Big Data Webcast (March 29, 3PM EDT)

http://semanticommunity.info/AOL_Government/Cloud_2.0_A_New_Acquisition_Strategy_to_Get_the_Voice_of_Industry_in_a_Working_On-Line_On-Demand_Service_Demonstration_of_Big_Data

From: Gannon Dick [mailto:gannon_dick@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:15 PM
To: Ed Summers; Jeanne M Holm
Cc: public-egov-ig
Subject: Re: Challenges and Opportunities in Big Data Webcast (March 29, 3PM EDT)

Wow Ed, thanks to whomsoever named it "Helping Big Data" and for the colon seizure I had before I read what you were actually talking about.

You (and Jeanne) can make it up to me by pummeling anyone who says "survival of the fittest" while screaming "no grass, no lions! ecosystems!".

Points two and three are of particular importance, I think.  Silicon Valley is not going to play by either existing rule set (Title 5 or Title 13).  They want to "play" by both.   Big Data by and large does not see the long term corrosive effect as their problem to solve.    Once you do know statistical methods, it is hard to imagine injecting a self-serving bias, and harder yet not to attribute the bias to stubbornness or ignorance.  This effect is also pervasive in Labor Law, or as I refer to it, "the exaltation of the lesser sociopath".

I have a fourth suggestion, and that is to publish the CIA World Factbook in more accessible Open Data formats. It has been Public Domain since inception, but often "old statistics" and "old news" are conflated.  I'd be more comfy with this, I suppose, if I thought either term had any real meaning.  There is nothing in the Scientific Method which prohibits the use of a hard-wired initial state.  I know what Wisconsin-ness is: same as it was last time.  One of the most powerful tools eGovernment has is Shannon's Maxim ("the enemy knows the system").  Huh? Yes, by this formulation: The less obscure the organization of the outside world the easier it is for citizens of one jurisdiction to relate to each other as equals, from which sharing data becomes second nature, along with an investment in data fidelity.  This also can be used to demonstrate circumstantially bad eGovernment ideas:  Crowdsourcing does not mean that a lazy Sunday Afternoon in Canberra needs the contemporaneous input of liquored-up cowboys in Dallas on Saturday Night, for example.

Big Data is a tough crowd since they know the difference between deceleration and resonance.  Just remember "no grass, no lions".  Good luck.

--Gannon

  _____