Re: [dxwg] DataService and DataDistributionService (#432)

From: kcoyle via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 16:39:38 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
Following up on this I read the sections on DDService and DService. The definition of DDService is confusing to me:

"A site or end-point for discovery, access or processing data or related resources."

Does "processing data" mean "*for the* processing *of* data"? If so, it doesn't read that way now ("processing data" could be an adjective/noun pair), so I would suggest changing it to:

A site or end-point for discovery, for access, or for the processing of data or related resources.

I also think that the DDService definition would be clearer if instead of "through" it read "to":

A site or end-point that provides access to datasets to distributions of the datasets

Even clearer to me would be:

A site or end-point that provides direct access to datasets to distributions of the datasets

I also agree with @agreiner that it feels odd that there is just this one kind of service that is a subclass of DataService and I wonder if it couldn't somehow be accommodated within DataService. Is there functionality that would be lost (or gained!) if dcat:servesDataset were to be used with DataService?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/432#issuecomment-454848683 using your GitHub account