BPs on Data Identification

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 19:25:29 +0100
To: Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
CC: Hadley Beeman <hadley@linkedgov.org>, Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>, Newton Calegari <newton@nic.br>, Caroline Burle <cburle@nic.br>
Dear all,

Hadley and I took an action *way* back to offer some new text for the
section on Data Identification. I have finally got around to doing it,
although I am sure I could add more in future.

The text I have (re)written is on the wiki at [1]. My suggestion is that
this replaces the text in the current editor's draft as Data
Identification [2]. It extends the intro and creates a new BP around IDs
for versions.

In more detail:

The section intro is unambiguous about identifiers. The current text
says that datasets should have identifiers. My version says that should
have URIs (for W3C, this is gospel).

I felt it wise to set out why URIs are so important and the differences
between URL, URI and IRI.

I've taken this a little further and set out what I regard as some of
the key points about URIs (currently 5 of them). This is drawn from
experience of talking to various groups. I am guilty of assuming that
everyone knows this stuff - which I really, really shouldn't!

BP: User persistent URIs as identifiers.

This is a modified version of the existing BP. It introduces the notion
of persistence and, if the WG adopts this, I plan to include the 10
Rules for Persistent Identifiers that the current text links to.

It also refers to purl.org and DOIs as alternatives.

Then I added a new BP on identifiers for versions. This doesn't
contradict the BP in the previous section that talks about Memento but
the two together are perhaps a little awkward - something to discuss.

I put all this on the wiki, not in the BP doc as it is for the editors
and the WG to decide whether this is going in the right direction. I can
add it to the doc quickly if needed (needless to say with or without
amendments).

HTH

Phil

For tracker, this is Issue-157