Re: Data is an asset - Data is a product

Hi Steve,

I agree with you that the value of data could depend on its use. But even
data that is sold need a manner to define its price.

What I was thinking is that products, in general, have a lot of metadata
that are similar to those we are discussing. They define the contract that
could include info about the product, policies about return, etc. If it is
a software, will include licenses. Provenance could be related to the
company that sells the product, or to the companies that provide components
to one device, or technologies used in a device. And we are not discussing
the value of data in social networks, which relates to a huge amount.

For the group, I think that is interesting to think that what is being
published is a product. And that we will have consumers wanting this
product. Having best practices to publish these products could make it easy
to use them, and would, probably, enhance their value. It is important to
develop  ways of tracking the use. Maybe the guys that already sell data
have ways of measuring data usage as a a way of defining prices.

Thank you for your article.

Best Regards,
Laufer

--