Re: Data is an asset - Data is a product

Hi Laufer,

Thanks.  I was hoping to stimulate a discussion because I think the idea
"Data is an asset" has become such a soundbite that few people even
question its meaning or stop to consider if its correct.  I think it is
important to challenge our assumptions about how the world works and I
appreciate that you are now challenging my simile (that data valuation is
like labor).

Data is often packaged into products and examples of this include
software, music files, videos, and media subscriptions.  Researchers often
charge for reports.  In each of these cases, there is a market of
consumers to perform price discovery and establish monetary prices.

Its the data that we all use every day in our companies that doesn't have
a market for price discovery, and without a market its hard to define a
value.

What do you think about this?

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

From:
Laufer <laufer@globo.com>
To:
Steven Adler/Somers/IBM@IBMUS, Data on the Web Best Practices Working
Group <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Date:
08/09/2014 11:08 AM
Subject:
Data is an asset - Data is a product

Hi, Steve,

Your article “The Value of Data is Based on its Usefulness” is very
interesting: “Data is an asset”.

These days I was thinking in another way of looking at data: “Data is a
product”.

I was thinking that if we look at data as a product, we should define the
contract between those who “sell” and those who “buy”. In this contract we
have to put all data (metadata) that could clarify all the aspects of the
product. I'm not saying that the products must be charged. But they could
be.

Just thinking.

Best Regards,
Laufer