Data is an asset - Data is a product

From: Laufer <laufer@globo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 12:07:28 -0300
To: Steven Adler <adler1@us.ibm.com>, Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Hi, Steve,

Your article “The Value of Data is Based on its Usefulness” is very
interesting: “Data is an asset”.

These days I was thinking in another way of looking at data: “Data is a
product”.

I was thinking that if we look at data as a product, we should define the
contract between those who “sell” and those who “buy”. In this contract we
have to put all data (metadata) that could clarify all the aspects of the
product. I'm not saying that the products must be charged. But they could
be.

Just thinking.

Best Regards,

Laufer