[light] Clarifying Ambient Light proposal for CfC

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 15:27:15 -0400
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>, W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: "ext Kostiainen, Anssi" <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Anssi, all

On todays DAP call we discussed [1] a CfC to remove the LightLevelEvent interface from the Ambient Light specification [2].

In following up Im confused because in the last email thread on this topic (albeit from December) I see that the proposal was to merge both into one event that includes both lux value and state into a single event [3].

There was support for this [4]:

[[

Re the spec stability, I proposed the following change to the spec to

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Apr/0043.html

> This was +1d by Doug and Anne. Given the known implementations only
> implement DeviceLightEvent, we could merge the value attribute of the
> LightLevelEvent interface into the DeviceLightEvent and rename it to e.g.
> state as I proposed.

*+1 also by me, it looks like a great idea. I'm going to keep the demo
up-to-date with the latest specification/implementation as soon as it comes
available, and keep on building demos to promote the W3C Device APIs: I
think that such APIs are a key factor for the success of the Web Platform
and Open Web Apps, especially for mobile devices.*

]]

Thus I would like to clarify which proposal we should consider at this time, and confirm that we have implementer support for it:

1) Move state into DeviceLightEvent, remove LightLevelEvent, as documented in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Apr/0043.html

2) Remove LightLevelEvent entirely, no change to DeviceLightEvent

I think we discussed #2 on the call today, but I would like to confirm in case #1 is the actual proposal.

Once this is clear I can send a CfC.

Thanks

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia