Re: [vibration] Exceptions no longer exist in WebIDL

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:53:16 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
Le mercredi 08 février 2012 à 22:29 +0100, Robin Berjon a écrit :
> On Feb 8, 2012, at 16:13 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> > The LC WD of the vibration API uses exceptions for cases where the
> > requested vibration is too long.
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-vibration-20120202/
> >
> > But WebIDL has removed support for raising exceptions in its syntax.
>
> I've updated ReSpec to now completely ignore WebIDL
> raises/getraises/setraises in such a manner that it doesn't cause
> failure but it simply outputs nothing for them. This ought to
> magically fix the ED before next publication

Note that the "magic fix" is a bit misleading — if you do intend to send
an exception, you actually need to add text in the prose to that end.
I'm not sure that getting the exception to simply disappear makes it
clear enough to the editors that they actually need to modify their
spec.

> (but it's true that it's a LC comment that needs disposing of — not
> sure if it's a simple bug or a substantial issue, kind of on the
> fence).

If we still intend the API to raise a DOMError exception, this is clear
a pure editorial fix; if we remove the exception, then that is probably
more on the substantive side of things.