Re: Potential charter item: mDNS/DNS-SD

On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 10:03 +0100, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2011, at 23:09 , Thomas Roessler wrote:
> > The obvious question would be: Why limit it to mDNS, and not include
> DNS in general?
>
> Service discovery is the use case I have in mind, it seems there is
> increasing alignment in using variants on these that could enable the
> browser to integrate with the local network in rather powerful and
> interesting ways. If there are use cases for more broader use of DNS
> I'm certainly not against it, but my initial instinct is to avoid
> building a complete API for it if only a subset is ever likely to be
> useful.

This is an active area of work for the European FP7 project "webinos" of
which W3C/ERCIM is a part. We are looking at ways to enable discovery
over a variety of interconnect technologies e.g IP networks (mDNS, SSDP,
SLP), USB, Firewire, Bluetooth, Zigbee, and by context (social network
connections and smart spaces).

The bottom line is that if device discovery is part of the DAP charter,
we will be able to contribute specifications and hands on implementation
experience as well as to help with editing WDs.

See http://webinos.org/ for more details.