Re: Messaging API proposal

Le jeudi 10 mars 2011 à 11:57 +0100, Rich Tibbett a écrit :
> We've talked about standards success factors previously. For me
> producing specifications is not the end-game; ubiquitous support
> across all UAs is.

Agreed/

>  If an API is not ubiquitously accessible across all UAs then web
> developers can't reliably code against such APIs.

Right; but likewise, they can't reliably code against additional
features for URI schemes if they're not ubiquitously accessible across
all UAs.

And in fact, relying on URI schemes only might make it more difficult to
do feature-detection — how would I determine that the current browser on
which my code runs supports POST-for-mms?

>  If it's not clear that there is enough incentive from a least a
> handful of UA companies to implement an API then that API has a
> significantly high likelihood of failing. That's where we are with any
> proposal for a Messaging API today.

Robin reminded us that iAd apparently has a messaging API, which shows
some interest from a relatively visible UA implementor on mobile
devices :)

Also, we've heard from Suresh@RIM a lot of interest on the messaging
API, so I assume they would too be interested in implementing such an
API (although confirmation of that fact would be good — Suresh?)

Dom