Re: ISSUE-106: Does having a timezone field make sense, should it be utfOffset or utcOffset and tz to better match vCard

On 01/20/11 22:20, Suresh Chitturi wrote:
> I have checked other address book formats such as OMA CAB and OpenSocial...
>

> In CAB [1], timezone is defined as follows:
>
> "
> a<time-zone>  element contains the time zone information associated with the location. This element MAY have the following child elements:
> 1)	a<tz-label>  element that contains the description of the time zone
> 2)	a<utc-offset>  element representing the time offset from UTC
> 3)	a<tz-url>  element pointing to the location where the detailed time zone information is stored
> "
>
> In Portable Contacts [2], the property is called utcOffset and defined as follows:
>
> "
> utcOffset:
> The offset from UTC of this Contact's current time zone, as of the time this response was returned. The value MUST conform to the offset portion of xs:dateTime, e.g. -08:00. Note that this value MAY change over time due to daylight saving time, and is thus meant to signify only the current value of the user's timezone offset.
> "
>
> [1] http://member.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/COM/COM-CAB/Permanent_documents/OMA-TS-CAB_XDMS-V1_0-20101019-C.zip
>
> [2] http://portablecontacts.net/draft-spec.html
>
> My take is that all the specs are talking about the same representation (i.e. offset from UTC and [+-][0..9][0..9]:[0..9][0..9]) which is what we say in the spec at the moment.
CAB is clearly not just talking about utcoffset.
> The one thing we need to be clear in the spec is whether we expect this field to be set by the user or only set by the implementation?
We should at least be clear in the spec when we're talking about
timezone and when we're talking about utcoffset. VCard (and CAB) can
represent both, separately.