Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

12 May 2010


See also: IRC log


fjh, Thomas, +1.202.436.aaaa, +358.504.86aacc, +1.301.581.aadd, LauraA, +1.202.637.aaee, jmorris, ilkka, +035850486aaff, enewland, alissa, AnssiK, Ingmar_Kliche, paddy, Bryan_Sullivan, richt, Frederick_Hirsch, Thomas_Roessler, Alissa_Cooper, Ilkka_Oksanen, John_Morris, Anssi_Kostiainen, Dzung_Tran, Paddy_Byers, Soonho_Lee, Richard_Tibbett
Claes_Nilsson, Jun_Liao, Marco_Marengo, Robin_Berjon, Dom


<trackbot> Date: 12 May 2010


<fjh> ScribeNick: jmorris

fjh: agenda review

Minutes Approval

<fjh> 5 May 2010

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010May/att-0014/minutes-2010-05-05.html

RESOLUTION: 5 May 2010 Minutes approved

Policy framework

<fjh> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/policy/

fjh: we have general agreement on trust domains being done explicitly
... asking paddy on agreement with this

paddy: yes
... target in nokia model is the trust domain
... we separate out trust domain from rest of document
... some cases we have to work through

fjh: lots of benefit about being explicit about trust domains
... being explicit will enable simplification
... like to suggest formal resolution
... proposing resolution: We will use explicit trust domains in the policy framework

paddy: notes that XACML policy expressions can be refactored
... for useful cases, one can mechanically convert one expression from another

LauraA: we would name a policy set for a trust domain and within domain
... we can have individual policies?

paddy: to be able to express the same things ...
... in BONDI you can have multiple targets
... you must be able to define the same thing in different trust domains
... all of the things you can do with a BONDI policy, you must also be able to do for a trust domain
... principle of separating def. of target and def. of rules is possible
... when you write trust domains, you have to have the same functionality as with BONDI

fjh: this may be an 80/20 situation, where you do not meet this
... good to identify the 20 percent

paddy: Agree we should look at use cases

bryan: clarification on wording
... don't you mean the ability to define explicit trust domains

fjh: there must be a trust domain

bryan: might the absence of an explicit domain imply an implicit trust default domain

fjh: we might be able to accommodate this
... we might be able to pre-define some trust domains
... if you don't know what trust domain, then "untrusted"

bryan: we are not defining trust domains themselves
... we are defining ability to define t.d.s
... not talking about "home" "work"
... we are not just trying to define a set

paddy: goal is to separate target from rules

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: make trust domain model an explicit and separate part of policy framework

paddy: we also may identify some well known trust domains

RESOLUTION: WG will make trust domain model an explicit and separate part of policy framework

fjh: referring to earlier comment by LauraA
... suggest we take schema material in separate document

<bryan_sullivan> +1

LauraA: some of sections suggested to go under framework already have features of profiling

<fjh> suggest separation, see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010May/0052.html

LauraA: not 100% clean separation between those two schemes
... 3.3 to 3.5 for example are already part of naming of GML? language

fjh: there is some overlap but want to take a pass on separating model

paddy: the source of the bondi document had the model in two separate parts
... there is a dictionary that is shared

fjh: can you do more editorial work?

LauraA: okay but good if someone can help

possible ACTION: LauraA to work on framework document to inject more separation

LauraA: your e-mail to simplify flows
... is fjh's suggestion to take nokia's flows and simplify

fjh: where can we simply if possible
... we have a model with lots of features, but can we simplify
... we will get more adoption if simpler
... if you nokia one

send message to list for seek on help on particular sections

<bryan_sullivan> if Laura needs help on a specific section or subject I can take the request by email and will provide some text

scribe: may have existing action

<fjh> ACTION-152?

<trackbot> ACTION-152 -- Laura Arribas to edit policy framework, reviewing BONDI material and editorial update -- due 2010-05-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/152

LauraA: I can keep working on ACTION-152

fjh: we can work on the list on this

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010May/0038.html

fjh: claus also had a message
... he is saying that there is work to be done

paddy: my take on that is that we need to be sure to have the right set of attributes to define the widget or whatever

<fjh> ACTION-45?

<trackbot> ACTION-45 -- David Rogers to provide use case with threat model scenarios -- due 2010-03-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/45

<fjh> ACTION-104?

<trackbot> ACTION-104 -- David Rogers to add use case related to ISSUE-37 -- due 2010-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/104

<fjh> ACTION-145?

<trackbot> ACTION-145 -- Bryan Sullivan to provide an architectural flow for Policy Reqs -- due 2010-03-25 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/145

fjh: looking at actions

Policy requirements

<fjh> ACTION-166?

<trackbot> ACTION-166 -- Frederick Hirsch to review policy requirements and propose changes -- due 2010-05-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/166

fjh: I will look at them this week

<fjh> ACTION-167?

<trackbot> ACTION-167 -- Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux to make a concrete proposal for policy framework based on his comments http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Apr/0030.html -- due 2010-05-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/167


fjh: I noticed paper re P3P trying to come up with labels

alissa: it is cited in ruleset document

<tlr> pointer?

fjh: nothing more on privacy right now?

alissa: still waiting for ruleset attributes are mutually exclusive
... robin has this question

<alissa> http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/soups/2009/proceedings/a4-kelley.pdf

alissa: conversation on list re mutual exclusivity
... waiting for response


<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010May/0015.html

fjh: next week we will decide on call whether to go to last call
... bunch of issues
... mohammed had comments, max dealt with them
... jonas had comment

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010May/0029.html

fjh: naming issue got resolved
... we need to be sure we are ready for last call

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010May/0026.html

fjh: maxf resolved timeless issues

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010May/0017.html

fjh: one issue to discuss: jonas how data is to be used
... we need to respond ... this is open

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010May/0039.html

fjh: second open issue is what is motivation to having some much data
... this is a minimization things, we are trying to deal with this
... we might want to fix the privacy stuff up some

<fjh> ACTION-58?

<trackbot> ACTION-58 -- Bryan Sullivan to make a concrete proposal with a vocabulary-based approach to system & events, with a few examples (e.g. battery level) -- due 2009-11-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/58

<fjh> ACTION-116?

<trackbot> ACTION-116 -- Bryan Sullivan to provide input on DCO mapping for SysInfo -- due 2010-03-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/116

fjh: we need to really get it ready

<fjh> action-58: bryan notes sysinfo api facilitates this now

<trackbot> ACTION-58 Make a concrete proposal with a vocabulary-based approach to system & events, with a few examples (e.g. battery level) notes added

bryan: this has been addressed

<fjh> action-58 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-58 Make a concrete proposal with a vocabulary-based approach to system & events, with a few examples (e.g. battery level) closed

fjh: looking at ACTION-116

bryan: this is done

<fjh> action-116 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-116 Provide input on DCO mapping for SysInfo closed

bryan: mapping on explicit options in API

<fjh> action-162?

<trackbot> ACTION-162 -- Robin Berjon to make SysInfo ready for pub -- due 2010-04-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/162

alissa: I proposed temporary language for all APIs re privacy framework

<fjh> action-169?

<trackbot> ACTION-169 -- Frederick Hirsch to insert temporary privacy language into the APIs. -- due 2010-05-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/169

alissa: this might help jonas

fjh: uncomfortable to blast away existing text
... so it would good for individual editors to add this text
... richard, maybe can you work on this
... alissa sent language to the list

<alissa> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Apr/0086.html

fjh: real issue is making sure that maxf's conclusion on these threads is complete
... we are close on last call
... that is all on Sysinfo

<fjh> ACTION: fjh to confirm status of sysinfo comment handling with max, and add privacy text [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-172 - Confirm status of sysinfo comment handling with max, and add privacy text [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2010-05-19].

fjh: other topics?? messaging?

contacts, calendar

<fjh> on the list

richt: I am still catching up and will go to list

fjh: anything we should discuss now?

richt: parameter passing discussion?

fjh: do not want to decide without robin
... might be better on list
... wrapping up
... all editors - please look at privacy text

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: fjh to confirm status of sysinfo comment handling with max, and add privacy text [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $