Draft minutes 2010-05-12

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:59:52 -0400
To: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Attached are draft minutes from DAP teleconference, 2010-05-12. HTML
follows text. Thanks to John Morris for scribing.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia

# Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

## 12 May 2010

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    fjh, Thomas, +1.202.436.aaaa, +358.504.86aacc, +1.301.581.aadd, LauraA,
+1.202.637.aaee, jmorris, ilkka, +035850486aaff, enewland, alissa, AnssiK,
Ingmar_Kliche, paddy, Bryan_Sullivan, richt, Frederick_Hirsch,
Thomas_Roessler, Alissa_Cooper, Ilkka_Oksanen, John_Morris, Anssi_Kostiainen,
Dzung_Tran, Paddy_Byers, Soonho_Lee, Richard_Tibbett

Regrets

    Claes_Nilsson, Jun_Liao, Marco_Marengo, Robin_Berjon, Dom

Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    jmorris

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Administrative][6]

    2. [Minutes Approval][7]

    3. [Policy framework][8]

    4. [Policy requirements][9]

    5. [Privacy][10]

    6. [Sysinfo][11]

    7. [contacts, calendar][12]

  * [Summary of Action Items][13]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 12 May 2010

### Administrative

<fjh> ScribeNick: jmorris

fjh: agenda review

### Minutes Approval

<fjh> 5 May 2010

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/att-0014/minutes-2010-05-05.html][14]

**RESOLUTION: 5 May 2010 Minutes approved**

### Policy framework

<fjh> [http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/policy/][15]

fjh: we have general agreement on trust domains being done explicitly

... asking paddy on agreement with this

paddy: yes

... target in nokia model is the trust domain

... we separate out trust domain from rest of document

... some cases we have to work through

fjh: lots of benefit about being explicit about trust domains

... being explicit will enable simplification

... like to suggest formal resolution

... proposing resolution: We will use explicit trust domains in the policy
framework

paddy: notes that XACML policy expressions can be refactored

... for useful cases, one can mechanically convert one expression from another

LauraA: we would name a policy set for a trust domain and within domain

... we can have individual policies?

paddy: to be able to express the same things ...

... in BONDI you can have multiple targets

... you must be able to define the same thing in different trust domains

... all of the things you can do with a BONDI policy, you must also be able to
do for a trust domain

... principle of separating def. of target and def. of rules is possible

... when you write trust domains, you have to have the same functionality as
with BONDI

fjh: this may be an 80/20 situation, where you do not meet this

... good to identify the 20 percent

paddy: Agree we should look at use cases

bryan: clarification on wording

... don't you mean the ability to define explicit trust domains

fjh: there must be a trust domain

bryan: might the absence of an explicit domain imply an implicit trust default
domain

fjh: we might be able to accommodate this

... we might be able to pre-define some trust domains

... if you don't know what trust domain, then "untrusted"

bryan: we are not defining trust domains themselves

... we are defining ability to define t.d.s

... not talking about "home" "work"

... we are not just trying to define a set

paddy: goal is to separate target from rules

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: make trust domain model an explicit and separate
part of policy framework

paddy: we also may identify some well known trust domains

**RESOLUTION: WG will make trust domain model an explicit and separate part of
policy framework**

fjh: referring to earlier comment by LauraA

... suggest we take schema material in separate document

<bryan_sullivan> +1

LauraA: some of sections suggested to go under framework already have features
of profiling

<fjh> suggest separation, see [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
device-apis/2010May/0052.html][16]

LauraA: not 100% clean separation between those two schemes

... 3.3 to 3.5 for example are already part of naming of GML? language

fjh: there is some overlap but want to take a pass on separating model

paddy: the source of the bondi document had the model in two separate parts

... there is a dictionary that is shared

fjh: can you do more editorial work?

LauraA: okay but good if someone can help

possible **ACTION:** LauraA to work on framework document to inject more
separation

LauraA: your e-mail to simplify flows

... is fjh's suggestion to take nokia's flows and simplify

fjh: where can we simply if possible

... we have a model with lots of features, but can we simplify

... we will get more adoption if simpler

... if you nokia one

send message to list for seek on help on particular sections

<bryan_sullivan> if Laura needs help on a specific section or subject I can
take the request by email and will provide some text

scribe: may have existing action

<fjh> ACTION-152?

<trackbot> ACTION-152 -- Laura Arribas to edit policy framework, reviewing
BONDI material and editorial update -- due 2010-05-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/152][17]

LauraA: I can keep working on ACTION-152

fjh: we can work on the list on this

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/0038.html][18]

fjh: claus also had a message

... he is saying that there is work to be done

paddy: my take on that is that we need to be sure to have the right set of
attributes to define the widget or whatever

<fjh> ACTION-45?

<trackbot> ACTION-45 -- David Rogers to provide use case with threat model
scenarios -- due 2010-03-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/45][19]

<fjh> ACTION-104?

<trackbot> ACTION-104 -- David Rogers to add use case related to ISSUE-37 --
due 2010-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/104][20]

<fjh> ACTION-145?

<trackbot> ACTION-145 -- Bryan Sullivan to provide an architectural flow for
Policy Reqs -- due 2010-03-25 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/145][21]

fjh: looking at actions

### Policy requirements

<fjh> ACTION-166?

<trackbot> ACTION-166 -- Frederick Hirsch to review policy requirements and
propose changes -- due 2010-05-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/166][22]

fjh: I will look at them this week

<fjh> ACTION-167?

<trackbot> ACTION-167 -- Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux to make a concrete proposal
for policy framework based on his comments
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Apr/0030.html][23]
-- due 2010-05-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/167][24]

### Privacy

fjh: I noticed paper re P3P trying to come up with labels

alissa: it is cited in ruleset document

<tlr> pointer?

fjh: nothing more on privacy right now?

alissa: still waiting for ruleset attributes are mutually exclusive

... robin has this question

<alissa> [http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/soups/2009/proceedings/a4-kelley.pdf][25]

alissa: conversation on list re mutual exclusivity

... waiting for response

### Sysinfo

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/0015.html][26]

fjh: next week we will decide on call whether to go to last call

... bunch of issues

... mohammed had comments, max dealt with them

... jonas had comment

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/0029.html][27]

fjh: naming issue got resolved

... we need to be sure we are ready for last call

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/0026.html][28]

fjh: maxf resolved timeless issues

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/0017.html][29]

fjh: one issue to discuss: jonas how data is to be used

... we need to respond ... this is open

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/0039.html][30]

fjh: second open issue is what is motivation to having some much data

... this is a minimization things, we are trying to deal with this

... we might want to fix the privacy stuff up some

<fjh> ACTION-58?

<trackbot> ACTION-58 -- Bryan Sullivan to make a concrete proposal with a
vocabulary-based approach to system & events, with a few examples (e.g.
battery level) -- due 2009-11-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/58][31]

<fjh> ACTION-116?

<trackbot> ACTION-116 -- Bryan Sullivan to provide input on DCO mapping for
SysInfo -- due 2010-03-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/116][32]

fjh: we need to really get it ready

<fjh> action-58: bryan notes sysinfo api facilitates this now

<trackbot> ACTION-58 Make a concrete proposal with a vocabulary-based approach
to system & events, with a few examples (e.g. battery level) notes added

bryan: this has been addressed

<fjh> action-58 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-58 Make a concrete proposal with a vocabulary-based approach
to system & events, with a few examples (e.g. battery level) closed

fjh: looking at ACTION-116

bryan: this is done

<fjh> action-116 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-116 Provide input on DCO mapping for SysInfo closed

bryan: mapping on explicit options in API

<fjh> action-162?

<trackbot> ACTION-162 -- Robin Berjon to make SysInfo ready for pub -- due
2010-04-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/162][33]

alissa: I proposed temporary language for all APIs re privacy framework

<fjh> action-169?

<trackbot> ACTION-169 -- Frederick Hirsch to insert temporary privacy language
into the APIs. -- due 2010-05-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/169][34]

alissa: this might help jonas

fjh: uncomfortable to blast away existing text

... so it would good for individual editors to add this text

... richard, maybe can you work on this

... alissa sent language to the list

<alissa> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0086.html][35]

fjh: real issue is making sure that maxf's conclusion on these threads is
complete

... we are close on last call

... that is all on Sysinfo

<fjh> **ACTION:** fjh to confirm status of sysinfo comment handling with max,
and add privacy text [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-dap-
minutes.html#action01][36]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-172 - Confirm status of sysinfo comment handling
with max, and add privacy text [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2010-05-19].

fjh: other topics?? messaging?

### contacts, calendar

<fjh> on the list

richt: I am still catching up and will go to list

fjh: anything we should discuss now?

richt: parameter passing discussion?

fjh: do not want to decide without robin

... might be better on list

... wrapping up

... all editors - please look at privacy text

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to confirm status of sysinfo comment handling with
max, and add privacy text [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-dap-
minutes.html#action01][36]]

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][37] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][38])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/0044.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #ActionSummary

   [14]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/att-0014/minutes-2010-05-05.html

   [15]: http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/policy/

   [16]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010May/0052.html

   [17]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/152