Re: Capture API question

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:34:55 +0100
To: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Cc: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, public-device-apis@w3.org
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org> wrote:
> On 11 Jun 2010, at 11:41, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
>>> The proposed APIs offer additional controls that a form-based approach
>>> doesn't, e.g. controlling the number of media objects to capture, their
>>> duration.
>>>

>> I see.
>>
>>> That said, we're very much interested in getting feedback — in
>>> particular from implementors — on whether these additional features are
>>> needed/useful in a v1, or if focusing on the form-based approach is more
>>> cost-effective.
>>>

>> On Android we are only implementing the form-based approach for now.
>> This seems to work pretty well for the majority of the use cases we've
>> encountered.
>
> Have you considered what approach you'd take for including additional controls (along the lines of what Dom mentioned) in the future?  Any thoughts whether that's in line with what the current capture API spec defines, or different?

For the time being, we're not convinced there are compelling enough
use cases for them. I am not entirely sure we need a new JS APIs just
to accommodate "numberOfMediaFiles" and "duration". Perhaps these can
be fitted into the form-based approach as well. In any case, we'll see
how the form-based approach is received by developers and go from
there.

Thanks,
Andrei