Re: Capture API question

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:05:57 +0200
To: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
Le jeudi 10 juin 2010 à 15:09 +0100, Andrei Popescu a écrit :

> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/FPWD.html#formaccess
>
> which shows that most of the functionality provided by the Capture API
> can also be achieved using APIs that already exist in the Web platform
> (i.e. <input>, File, <video>, etc). However, the spec does not have
> any discussion about the reasoning behind adding a new API to do
> something that is already possible. Since, to me at least, the reasons
> for doing this are not completely obvious, I was wondering if it's
> worth reconsidering the API or adding a note discussing the advantages
> over using existing APIs.

The proposed APIs offer additional controls that a form-based approach
doesn't, e.g. controlling the number of media objects to capture, their
duration.

That said, we're very much interested in getting feedback — in
particular from implementors — on whether these additional features are
needed/useful in a v1, or if focusing on the form-based approach is more
cost-effective.

Thanks,

Dom