Capture API question

From: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:09:27 +0100
To: public-device-apis@w3.org

I am sorry if this was discussed before but I was looking at the
Capture API FPWD and noticed that there is a section called "Capture
Input Selection"

which shows that most of the functionality provided by the Capture API
can also be achieved using APIs that already exist in the Web platform
(i.e. <input>, File, <video>, etc). However, the spec does not have
any discussion about the reasoning behind adding a new API to do
something that is already possible. Since, to me at least, the reasons
for doing this are not completely obvious, I was wondering if it's
worth reconsidering the API or adding a note discussing the advantages
over using existing APIs.

Many thanks,