Question on text search

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 15:17:09 +0200
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org
Dear I18N WG,

as part of our Contacts API[0] we have text search (e.g. matching names against input). We would like it to be loose, so that for instance "hazae" would possibly match "HazaŽl" (so case-insensitive, partial, and I forget what matching "Ž" for "e" is called but that one too).

We were wondering if this ought to be left up to implementations entirely or in part, or if it can be clearly defined. If the latter, has someone else done it so that we can steal it, and if the former is there any advice that we can at least give to implementations? We'd very much appreciate any information that you may have.

[0]http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/

This is for ACTION-122.

--
Robin Berjon