Re: Privacy Rulesets + ODRL

From: Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:07:49 +1000
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
To: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>

On 17 Aug 2010, at 19:26, Robin Berjon wrote:

> I am not personally familiar with ODRL, and I don't know if many others on the WG are. Expressing the rulesets in machine-readable form is definitely a goal going forward. We'll want something short so that it is easily embedded, but that doesn't mean that it can't be defined to map onto a more expressive format, which ODRL seems to be. Could you recommend a good introduction for those on the WG interested in this topic?

Hi Robin, the ODRL Initiative [1] has been going for 10 years now and it's Version 2.0 Model [2] gives an good overview of the policy framework. The companion Common Vocabulary [2] defines the semantics for the terms (so far).

We have an early draft on the XML encoding [4] and planning an XMPP profile. We are working on an RDF/OWL mapping/encoding which would then enable RDFa [5] to be embedded in web pages. We also looked at Microformats [6] but will focus more on HTML5 Microdata in the near future for HTML embedding.

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity
http://semanticidentity.com