Re: ISSUE-13: Gathering requirements [Messaging API]

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:31:12 +0200
Cc: <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com>
On Sep 16, 2009, at 18:31 , <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com> <richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com
 > wrote:
> For example, which particular systems should be addressed by this API
> (IM? SMS? MMS? Email? ...Twitter? etc)...or should (and could) the
> Messaging API be agnostic to the underlying messaging system(s) in
> use?
>
> Any thoughts welcome of course. I'm unclear at the moment as to which
> messaging system this API will address.

I'd say the best approach here is to start with those that matter
most: SMS and email (and perhaps MMS, but for most useful cases it can
be treated more or less as an expensive degenerate form of email). I
wouldn't look at IM at this point, its requirements will be too
different (though there could be an IM API). Twitter (and a zillion
other modern services) has a REST API that can already be addressed
(if you support cross-domain requests).

Once some level of convincing requirements for SMS and email are
obtained, we can see how much they overlap. Based on that common
inheritance can work or not.

--
Robin Berjon
   robineko  setting new standards