ISSUE-6 requirements strawman

From: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:29:56 +0200
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
Posting this to a separate thread, since it is barely related to the
overview/minddump I posted of the BONDI requriements, and I suspect, also
contentious

1. It MUST be possible to allow applications to register themselves as
handlers for a specific protocol.
1.1. A User Agent MAY provide default handlers for a specific protocol.
2. It MUST be possible to allow applications to register themselves as
handlers for a specific Content-Type
2.1. A User Agent MAY provide default handlers for a specific Content-Type.
3. A User Agent MAY provide means for non-web applications to register
themselves as handlers for content-types and protocols.
4. It SHOULD be possible to launch an application for which no
content-type or protocol handler exists.
4.1. It SHOULD be possible to pass arguments to a launched
4.2. It SHOULD be possible to launch an application asynchronously
4.3. It SHOULD be possible to launch an application synchronously
4.4.1. For applications that run synchronously, it SHOULD be possible to
catch the output streams (STDOUT/ERR etc.)

Note that requirements 1 and 2  already be met  by custom scheme and
content handlers from HTML5:
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/browsers.html#custom-handlers>

Anything in particular missing?
--