W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-ddwg@w3.org > March 2007

RE: Meeting Summary - 26 March 2007

From: Christian Timmerer \(ITEC\) <christian.timmerer@itec.uni-klu.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:39:29 +0200
To: "'Luca Passani'" <luca.passani@openwave.com>, <public-ddwg@w3.org>
Cc: <christian.timmerer@itec.uni-klu.ac.at>
Message-ID: <004601c771dd$c46e42e0$4d4ac8a0$@timmerer@itec.uni-klu.ac.at>


Dear Luca, all,
  as someone who's not "deep inside esoteric W3C lingo" I cannot make this
observation that the definition means nothing.

My two cents are as follows:
 - However, the definition could be extended by notes/examples that helps
the reader to better understand the definition.
 - The wording "some context" in first part of the definition causes some
confusion to me because to me it means that this context needs to be defined
by those who are adopting this definition. I'm wondering whether this
interpretation is correct/intentional.

Thanks.
Best regards,
 -Christian

:--
:- Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Christian Timmerer
:- Department of Information Technology (ITEC)
:- Klagenfurt University, Austria
:- http://research.timmerer.com
:----------------------------------------------------------

>> Visit the IT Campus Carinthia
>> http://www.it-campus.at


> -----Original Message-----
> From: public-ddwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ddwg-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Luca Passani
> Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:52 AM
> To: public-ddwg@w3.org
> Subject: RE: Meeting Summary - 26 March 2007
> 
> 
> 
> "A device description is a formal definition within some context of the
> named attributes and their permissible values [which may take the form
> of
> lists, ranges, or other patterns] which are applicable to entities of
> interest in that context,"
> 
> this is not english. It means nothing. It may mean something to those
> deep
> inside esoteric W3C lingo. Certainly not suitable for a blog as it is
> unless
> you want people to laugh at DD's work.
> 
> Luca
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: public-ddwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ddwg-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Rotan Hanrahan
> Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:25 AM
> To: public-ddwg@w3.org
> Subject: Meeting Summary - 26 March 2007
> 
> 
> [Weekly conference call, 26 Mar 2007.] "Device Description" described!
> Initial ontology almost ready for publication. Reviewing OMA documents.
> Need
> public input to vocabulary. Details follow:
> 
> [DD Defined] A text to describe what is meant by "Device Description"
> has
> been formally agreed by the group and will become part of the DD group
> terminology. The definition will require an update to the DI Glossary.
> The
> key part of the definition is this: "A device description is a formal
> definition within some context of the named attributes and their
> permissible
> values [which may take the form of
> lists, ranges, or other patterns] which are applicable to entities of
> interest in that context," and goes on to mention the role of 'device'
> and
> the scope of the DDWG with respect to this definition. The full text
> will be
> made public on the wiki.
> 
> [Ontology Documents] A set of Protégé files capturing an initial
> ontology
> have been created by Rhys, together with a sample XHTML document to
> summarise the information in a human-readable form. Rotan will be
> looking
> into providing an automated visual representation, and the set of
> documents
> are expected to be made public soon. This is not the Vocabulary, but a
> framework in which the DDR Vocabulary can be defined.
> 
> [OMA Liaison] In response to the recent OMA liaison, a formal
> acknowledgement will be posted on the public mailing list. Furthermore,
> two
> members of the group (Jo and Andrea) will be reviewing the OMA
> documents as
> requested in the liaison statement.
> 
> [Vocabulary] It was noted during the meeting that the group could use
> some
> more public input, so expect members to mention the DDWG process in
> blogs
> and other public channels over the coming weeks.
> 
> [New Actions] (ACTION-21) Rotan to Liaise with DI and successors ref
> this
> definition (of DD). (ACTION-22) Rotan to "Dot-ify" section 3 from the
> ontology document to make graphical version. (ACTION-23) Jo to work
> with
> Andrea to prepare a draft response to OMA Liaison - and review
> architecture
> document.
> 
> [Attendees]
> Rodrigo Garcia Acevedo (CTIC)
> Pontus Carlsson (Drutt)
> Rotan Hanrahan (MobileAware)
> Martin Jones (Volantis)
> Cedric Kiss (W3C)
> Rhys Lewis (Volantis)
> Jo Rabin (dotMobi)
> Kevin Smith (Vodafone)
> Mike Smith (W3C)
> Andrea Trasatti (M:Metrics/WURFL)
> 
Received on Thursday, 29 March 2007 08:39:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:00:13 UTC