From:   Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
To:     public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org
Date:   03/30/2015 05:50 PM
Subject:        Re: shapes-ISSUE-25 (core/lite): What's in Core/Lite?
[SHACL Spec]

On 3/31/2015 10:25, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

Can we not separate these two pieces the way HTML and JavaScript+DOM are?
With HTML5 one can define custom elements using Javascript and the two
co-exist gracefully. Why isn't a similar approach possible here?

Why should we do this? Did the recent poll create a convincing majority
for the "separatists"?

Why should we break the current consistency of the single document? I have
done my best to move the SPARQL bits to part 2 (sections 7 onwards), as
requested by several people including yourself, Arnaud. The core bits are
clearly marked at such. I have proven that this spec can be implemented
without SPARQL. This should be enough for now. We can decide for a split
at some later stage, once we are certain that all pieces work together.
Introducing a split now is unhelpful towards that goal.