Re: descriptions of SHACL proposal documents

Peter,

I very much welcome your help in improving our wiki. Looking at the
history of changes I can see various people have had their hands in this
(which is to be expected - that's what wikis are for!) and you're just as
entitled as anyone else in the WG to edit this page.

I think there is value in indicating the name of the main supporter
associated with each document so I would suggest keeping that bit but
otherwise I think your descriptions are a real improvement. So, please, go
ahead and edit away!

Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies -
IBM Software Group

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote on 03/24/2015
01:14:30 PM:

> From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> To: RDF Data Shapes Working Group <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
> Date: 03/24/2015 01:15 PM
> Subject: descriptions of SHACL proposal documents

> Right now the working group home page
> https://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Main_Page says:
>
> Proposals:
>
> SHACL based on SPIN templates - Holger
> SHACL based completely on SPARQL - Peter
> Core SHACL Semantics (non-SPARQL) - ericP
> accompanying primer - ericP and Holger
> Axiomatic definition of above - Jose
> proposal comparison
>
> I feel that this is an incorrect and misleading description of the
proposal
> documents and their relationships to each other.
>
> My view is that the various documents contain various material, ranging
from
> primer to guide to fully formal definitions, and that the less-formal
> documents can be connected to several of the more-formal documents.
>
> I think that it would be much better to describe the documents along the
> following lines:
>

> 1. SHACL (Shapes Constraint Language) Primer
> http://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/data-shapes-primer/
> A Primer for SHACL, concentrating on the high-level language, but also
> giving examples of constraints directly using SPARQL syntax. Largely
> compatible with all the other proposals.
>
> 2. Shapes Constraint Language (SHACL)
> https://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/shacl/
> A Guide to SHACL, providing details of the constructs in SHACL and an
> informal description of how they work, plus a Formal Definition of the
> meaning of SHACL, based largely on a translation to SPARQL. Also
includes
> facilities for macros of various kinds. The Guide part of the document
is
> largely compatible with all the other proposals.
>
> 3. Core SHACL Semantics
> http://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/semantics/
> A Guide to the high-level language of SHACL, providing details of the
> constructs in the high-level language and and an informal description of
how
> they work. Largely compatible with all the other proposals.
>
> 4. A SHACL Specification based on SPARQL
> https://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Shacl-sparql
> A Formal Definition of the meaning of SHACL, based on a translation to
SPARQL.