Re: Follow-up on Michel's comment

Hi Holger,
  I want a language that sits on its own, with a clearly defined syntax and
semantics, and for which there can be a number of implementations. Since
SPARQL is an obvious choice, it makes sense to have a document that
specifies how SHACL expressions can be evaluated using SPARQL.

 What I worry about is that some users will simply resort to the templating
mechanism instead of articulating the constraint using the language,
thereby neatly causing a crisis in interoperability. You seem to dismiss
this possibility, but I'd rather be proactive on the point, and emphasize
that the templating mechanism should be used where SHACL standardization
fails to support a use case. With your vast experience, it would also be
useful to include use cases so that users can see how the templating can
get them further.

I also worry that those who wish to implement SHACL will be forced to parse
and interpret the arbitrary SPARQL expressions in templates. Therefore,
it's important to recognize that the templates, just as much as functions,
is a "if you need to do this, here's the vocabulary for it", but there's no
mandate by us that you have to interpret this. Some will, and others won't.
Thus, I'm ok with having clearly delineated profiles to handle these cases.

hope that clears up what i meant,

m.

Michel Dumontier, PhD
Associate Professor of Medicine (Biomedical Informatics)
Stanford University
http://dumontierlab.com