Re: The NoSPARQL use case

On 3/2/15 7:19 AM, Jose Emilio Labra Gayo wrote:
> One you have identified the language constructs you have to implement
> them. SPARQL by itself is not enough as it doesn't handle, for
> example, recursion so there is a need for something else.

The example of recursion gets mentioned over and over again. Is there
any other example?

I suggested we define a SPARQL function sh:hasShape to handle the
recursion. But we could even live without that. We would just need to
hard-code the Shape that has the sh:valueShape property so that engines
would automatically do the recursion in the control flow outside of SPARQL.

> Apart from that, I have already said that I have no problem to have
> mappings to SPARQL and even to include them in the spec. But what I
> would like to know, is why should we design something that depends on
> SPARQL when there is an alternative to define something that can be
> independently implemented? What is the advantage of limiting it to
> only be implemented in SPARQL?

The SHACL spec does not state that templates can only be implemented in
SPARQL.

Holger