Re: RDF validation questionnaire

NOTE -- this thread is now on Shapes-WG list, and not CCed
to previous groups or individuals --

- semantic-web@w3.org
- public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
- public-ldp@w3.org
- DC-ARCHITECTURE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Background is here --
1. http://www.w3.org/mid/20150415170923.GF3772@w3.org
2. http://www.w3.org/mid/20150415173618.GB665@w3.org

On Apr 15, 2015, at 02:07 PM, Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On 2015-04-15 11:01, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>> PS:  The W3C RDF Data Shapes working group has not published a FPWD about SHACL.  The only working draft in the works is for use cases and requirements.  The fact that there are several documents that sort of claim to be published working drafts appears to be an artifact of the W3C ReSpec system.
>
> all i wanted to point out is that just yesterday, the FPWD was published and it does have SHACL in its title, even though it's just UCR and not language design. eric's questionnaire talks about ShEx, so there is some disconnect. maybe adding one or two sentences to the questionnaire would be good enough, but i think the way it is now, other people may end up being slightly confused, just like myself.

Quite so.

At first read, I wondered whether ShEx was a relic here, that
this had been developed some time ago and was being published
now to try and aid development of SHACL Requirements...

But now I see that is not the case.

I'm rather disturbed by how much this feels like a power play,
given the W3C imprimatur and prominent mention of the RDF Data
Shapes WG, though it came from only one person.  The single
"(though this questionnaire is not a product of Working Group)"
disclaimer is insufficient in my opinion.

Even worse -- the Shapes WG was not on the CC list announcing
the questionnaire (though it did go to our public feedback list,
to which WG members are apparently not auto-subscribed) -- I only
read of it because I'm also in LDP-WG!

All that said -- I think the general idea behind this survey
is a good one, and the basic form is as well.  Indeed, the
expansion on much of the terminology used here seems likely to
have been helpful in evaluating the Requirements we've been
talking about the past several weeks.

I very much wish this had been put before the Shapes WG as a
whole before wide release, so it could have been adjusted to
include SPIN, ICV, and any other strongly held perspectives
from within the group -- and so be less inherently spun to
orient around ShEx.

Be seeing you,

Ted