Re: shapes-ISSUE-30 (shape-and-data-graphs): Are shapes and data in the same graph? [SHACL Spec]

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
wrote:

>  BTW another example of a constraint where the WHERE clause would benefit
> from querying the shapes graph itself is Closed Shapes. These could be
> modeled using
>
> ex:MyShape
>     sh:property [
>     ] ;
>     sh:constraint [
>         a sh:ClosedShapeConstraint .
>     ]
>
> where sh:ClosedShapeConstraint would walk the definition of sh:MyShape
> (and possibly its super-shapes) to collect all sh:predicates that are used.
> Then check that the instance has no property that is not among those
> predicates.

Again this is an implementation optimization. The engine could prebuild an
additional query based on the shape definition in advance. Of course this
also depends on the semantics of the closed shapes.
see an example in  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-
wg/2015Mar/0080.html

> I believe the opportunities here are great and we shouldn't limit such
> scenarios to emerge, one way or another. With a generic solution anyone
> could define variations of things like Closed Shapes themselves in their
> own macro library.

For me it is fine to have a generic solution as long as this solution works
in all cases.

Revised proposed resolution:Shapes and data are expected to exist in
different graphs unless specified specified otherwise and access from the
shapes graph to the data graph and vice-versa is not required.

Would anyone object to this?

Best,
Dimitris