Re: shapes-ISSUE-41 (property paths (sh:path?)): Using property paths to refer to values/types? [SHACL Spec]

I think there are complex use cases that must be supported. And I think that it is challenging to design a simple enough high level language constructs for complex use cases.

With this, there is a tension between the desire to have a 'simple high level language' and requirements for complex constraints.  However, we have an elegant extension capability which resolves the tension. We don't need to predefine all the high level constructs that would cover the variety of complex possibilities. We can be agile and cover in the prebuilt high level expressions the most obvious and straightforward things. Let other things emerge over time.

I see this process as similar to software releases - there is always a seductive desire to try to cover more and more in the release 1. Everyone has their own favorite requirement, some simple, some harder and the release gets pushed back farther and farther . To avoid such syndrome , one must be disciplined and committed to "curbing the appetites" - get the product out there, get it used, get the feedback and move forward. To me this seems as the much preferable way forward since we already have a way to address all complex requirements.

Irene

Sent from my iPhone