Re: Where is the most actual n3 spec?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:01:34 -0600
To: marcos rebelo <oleber@gmail.com>
Cc: timbl@w3.org, sandro@w3.org, public-cwm-talk@w3.org

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 09:15 +0000, marcos rebelo wrote:
> After +- implemented Sparql I'm now moving to n3, but I'm havig
> problems finding references.
> I have found 2 references:
> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3.html
> http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/
> but this documents are old.
> The latest is from 2004, this means that is +- stable or in diferent
> locations (where)?

actually*, Notation3.html was edited Feb 1 15:52:25 2006 UTC.
I see the CVS keywords got broken or something.

The swap/doc stuff is also fairly current, though it lags here
and there. I hope to integrate it more closely with the test
suite so that it becomes somewhat self-maintaining.

Perhaps the best specification of N3 is the cwm test suite.

In the latest release announcement
 Cwm Release 1.1.0rc1

You'll find pointers to not only the release tarball...
and the project homepage, with details about how to grab
the latest source from CVS...
but also a log of log of the building of this release,
which includes an enumeration of lots of test cases that
were known to work as of that release:

The /DesignIssues/Notation3 page points to a number of formal grammars
for the language; the main one is the so-called n3.n3 i.e.
with corresponding HTML version:

We have plans in progress to
 (a) check n3.n3 against the test suite
 (b) replace the hand-coded n3 parser in cwm with something
  mechanically derived from n3.n3

An RFE was filed 10 Jun 2004
  RFE: formal N3 grammar

The grammar stuff isn't the top thing on our weekly meeting
agenda, but it's not totally starved for attention either..

We talked about it briefly last week.

In particular, I brought up a blog item I wrote...

 bnf2turtle -- write a turtle version of an EBNF grammar

and timbl and I talked about g:seq and g:alt vs cfg:mustBeOneSequence
and the like.

> Thanks for the help

Likewise, thanks for your interest in SPARQL and N3.

> Marcos Rebelo

* Mucho gusto encontrarte. I speak a little spanish... just
enough to know that when you write "Where is the most actual n3 spec?"
I should read it as "Where is the most recent n3 spec?". ;-)

"acutal" is a false-cognate. If you translate it from Spanish
to English and back, you get "de verdad".

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E