Re: is/of feature of N3 in turtle/sparql?

On Sat, 28 May 2005 20:48:27 -0400, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 03:47:50PM -0400, Stan Devitt wrote:

<snip/>

> The relevent part of the SPARQL grammar is at
>   <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#rTriples1>
>
> The grammar currently inludes:
>   . , ;
>     s p o . s p o2
>     s p o, o2
>     s p o; p o2
>   [] ()
>     [] p o
>     [ p o ]
>     s p ( i1 i2 )
>
> My opinion as both an editor and working group member is that the
> turtle syntax is intuitive and attractive in its simplicity. We have
> postponed a number of issues for later versions of the language. I
> would postpone the expansion of the graph language to include more of
> n3 such as:
>   s >- p -> o	# now  s = p => o  ?
>   o <- p -< s	# now  o <= p = s  ?
>   o is p of s
>   has		# which i don't understand. where's the object?
>   this
>   =		# for owl:sameAs
>   is		# without the of
>   and the ever-controversial {}

<snip />

As Turtle author, I'm pretty much in agreement.  None of the above
are going into to Turtle now or soon.  The only addition not yet
recorded in the current Turtle document[1] is the """long quotes with
newlines""" and updates to synchronise the qname definition with
sparql.  (Note '''quotes''' are in SPARQL but are not going into Turtle).

Sorry I've not had the time to update this recently, been busy with
coding and travelling.

As a DAWG member and SPARL implementor, I'd rather keep it as it is.
I spent a lot of the last coding period catching up with the syntax
changes from last time.

Dave