Re: .well-known

From: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 13:19:51 -0700
Cc: public-csv-wg@w3.org
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
> On Jun 19, 2015, at 12:17 PM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
>
> A technical question: does a CSVW metadata file supposed to contain a particular string -- a 'magic number' perhaps -- that identifies it as being a CSVW file?   If the metadata file is discovered first -- such as through a web search -- then this would help prevent a non-CSVW JSON file that just happens to look like a CSVW metadata file from being erroneously interpreted as a CSVW metadata file.

The IANA registration shows no Magic Number, but valid metadata documents MUST have the context "http://www.w3.org/ns/csvw, which will typically (although not necessarily) appear at the beginning of the document. In fact, this is what my JSON-LD processor looks to to not treat it as JSON-LD, but as Tabular Metadata.

Gregg