Re: simple weather observation example illustrating complex column mappings (ACTION-11)

On 02/04/14 19:04, Tandy, Jeremy wrote:
> All,
>
> (related action #11 <https://www.w3.org/2013/csvw/track/actions/11>)
>
> I've created an "Example" directory in the github repo <https://github.com/w3c/csvw/tree/gh-pages/examples>, within which I have placed the example requested by AndyS et al in today's teleconference:
>
> simple-weather-observation <https://github.com/w3c/csvw/blob/gh-pages/examples/simple-weather-observation.md>
>
> It provides:
> - CSV example
> - RDF encoding (in TTL)
> - JSON-LD encoding (assuming my manual conversion is accurate)
> - CSV-LD mapping frame (or at least my best guess)
>
> In the mapping frame I couldn't figure out how to construct the @id for the weather observation instances as I wanted to use a simplified form of the ISO 8601 date-time syntax used in the "Date-time" column.
>
> Would be happy for folks to correct/amend what I've done :)
>
> AndyS / Greg - if this meets your need could you close the action? (I left it in "pending review" state)
>
> Jeremy

Jeremy - thank you.

It more than meets the action item for the RDF part at least.

A question it raises for the JSON(sans -LD) conversion is whether the
JSON-LD form is acceptable.  I have no in-sight there but it is
something to test before going along a partcular spec'ing path.

I wasn't thinking that the conversion would necessarily be driven by
OWL, leaving that for tools beyond/better than the core spec.  It is
nice to be aware of the possibility.

If there are certain common conversions of ISO 8601 syntax for the
date-time, we can include those conversion.  This one is drop certain
legal URIs chars (":" and "-" timezone other than Z?)

My feeling is that a real-world issue is that datetime strings are all
too often not valid in the first place (systematically or not) and so
the error handling is important.

As CSV is a text format, string processing can be done before CSV2RDF
conversion.  Clean-up is best done at that point a well.

Seems like a processing pipeline model is emerging.

	Andy