Re: More cleanup or refactoring or optimizations coming? eg ref-filled-green-100px-square

Le 2014-10-30 19:32, Rebecca Hauck a écrit :
> Hi Gérard,
>
> On 10/30/14, 2:29 PM, "Gérard Talbot" <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Rebecca,
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/name/ref-filled-green-100px-square/
>>
>> When I search for the string "ref-filled-green-100px-square" in
>> Shepherd, I get 4 Reference Files Found and 1 Support File Found.
>>
>> The query of ref-filled-green-100px-square should return only 1
>> reference test file.
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/support/ref-filled-green-100px-square.xht/
>>
>> is not a support file; in fact, this is the original reference test
>> file.
>
> Apparently that file lives in css-multicol-1/support, but nothing in
> that
> spec test dir appears to use that file, so it can safely be removed.

Done.

committed changeset 6884:f251c6111453

css-multicol-1/support/ref-filled-green-100px-square.xht status changed
to 'Retracted'

>> I wonder if you have plans to do more cleanup (or refactoring?) of the
>> test repositories, test folders optimizations or cleanup.
>>
>> ------
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/tables/reference/ref-filled-green-100px
>> -square.xht
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/mediaqueries-3/reference/ref-filled-green-100
>> px-square.xht
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-multicol-1/reference/ref-filled-green-100
>> px-square.xht
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-backgrounds-3/reference/ref-filled-green-
>> 100px-square.xht
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/ref-filled-green-100px-square
>> .xht
>>
>> There should not be so many copies of the same reference file test...
>
> There were multiple copies of this file before the reorganization.
> Previously, they were at:
>
> approved/css2.1/src/reference/ref-filled-green-100px-square.xht
> contributors/gtalbot/incoming/reference/ref-filled-green-100px-square.xht
> contributors/gtalbot/submitted/reference/ref-filled-green-100px-square.xht

I believe I have "hg-copied" that ref-filled-green-100px-square.xht into
my incoming and submitted folders... but I can not remember for sure...
when I now think I should have instead just linked to those in
approved/css2.1/src/reference/

> contributors/intel/submitted/css3-background/reference/ref-filled-green-100
> px-square.xht
> contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/reference/ref-filled-green-100px-squa
> re.xht
> contributors/ttwf_shenzhen/intel/css3-ui/reference/ref-filled-green-100px-s
> quare.xht
>
> I wasn¹t intending on doing any further reorganizing to eliminate these
> duplicated files. In fact, we duplicate many more files than this one
> in
> the support dirs.  At some point it¹d be nice to come up with a
> strategy
> for sharing these common files across test suites,

I fully support a strategy of sharing common files across test suites
without creating duplicates or multiple versions of the same file. The
most frequently reused reference files (prefixed with "ref-") should be,
I think, in 1 and only 1 folder and there should not be multiple
versions or multiple copies of such very frequently reused reference
files.

> but right now it¹s
> better to keep all a test suites dependencies in within its spec dir.

Reference files (suffixed with "-ref") could well be within its spec dir
... but I was mostly and solely thinking of *_very frequently reused
reference files_* which are prefixed with "ref-". It is in the best
interests of all of us (test suites maintenance, shepherd system, server
load, test authors, test reviewers, etc.) to reuse as much as possible
already-created-and-available reference files for tests, when creating
new tests. I can easily see the day when there will be 100,000 tests or
1 million tests ... we won't reach those numbers without some kind of
reference files policy. We should encourage an N-to-1 reference files to
test kind of policy.

Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates