Re: [css3-writing-modes] Requests for reviewing writing-modes inilne-level alignment tests.

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:40:36 -0400
To: "塩澤 元" <hajime.shiozawa@gmail.com>
Le Dim 3 mars 2013 2:49, 塩澤 å…ƒ (Shiozawa, Hajime) a écrit :
> Hello,
> I have submitted new tests and updated existing tests.
> All test which I submitted are shown below URL.
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/spec/css3-writing-modes/owner/hshiozawa/load/t35/#t16
There are seven test cases.
> 1. plain text (text-baseline-001~003.xht)
> 2. text includes different font size (text-baseline-004~006.xht) 3.
inline block containing two blocks
> (inline-block-alignment-001~003.xht)
> 4. empty inilne block (inline-block-alignment-004~006.xht)
> 5. vertical-align: baseline (vertical-alignment-001~003.xht)
> 6. vertical-align: sub (vertical-alignment-004~006.xht)
> 7. vertical-align: sup (vertical-alignment-007~009.xht)
> And each testcase contains five test files.
> A. horizontal layout with alphabetical baseline (no suffix)
>     - (horizontal-tb) x (mixed, upright, sideways-right,
> sideways-left, sideways, use-glyph-orientation)
> B. vertical layout with alphabetical baseline
>     a. sideways-left orientation ('sidewaysleft' suffix)
>         - (vertical-lr) x (sideways-left, sideways) and (vertical-rl)
> x (sideways-left)
>     b. sideways-right orientation ('sidewaysright' suffix)
>         - (vertical-rl) x (sideways-right, sideways) and (vertical-lr)
> x (sideways-right)
> C. vertical layout with central baseline
>     a. vertical-lr layout ('lr' suffix)
>         - (vertical-lr) x (mixed, upright, use-glyph-orientation)
>     b. vertical-rl layout ('rl' suffix)
>         - (vertical-rl) x (mixed, upright, use-glyph-orientation)
> Could you please review and give feedbacks about these tests?

Hello Hajime,

Here, I would create a 7th orange rectangle as a reference one, a
control one just like you did in text-baseline-001.xht and then create a
reftest for inline-block-alignment-001.xht .

and its reftest

I have tried to keep "ABCD" visible, viewable but I could not. In fact,
viewing such "ABCD" is not part of the test itself, so you can color it
yellow or transparent. "ABCD" will still be noticeable when
text-selecting/highlighting the yellow area.

"2 orange rectangles"
should be replaced with
"3 orange rectangles"

Everywhere (in title text, text assert, /* comment */) you say "inline
block"; I would replace it with "inline-block". Also in

"inline block containing two blocks"
By definition, an inline-block can only contain block boxes. So, this is
somewhat redundant, pleonastic.

and in

If you can, Hajime, please create a 4th div which will act as a
reference for the other 3 divs. And then, you can reuse such 4th div to
create a reftest. Just like you did in

Here, I would create a 7th orange rectangle as a reference one, a
control one just like you did in text-baseline-001.xht and then create a
reftest for inline-block-alignment-004.xht .

line 11      div {
        margin-top: 10px;

I'm not sure why you set a margin-top of 10px here. From what I see,
margin collapsing of p with a margin-top of 2em will collapse anyway
with the parent div. If div { margin-top: 10px; } is not necessary, then
please remove it.

Can you create a 4th div acting as a reference for the other 3 <div>s?
If so, then you would be able to easily create a reftest for this test.

Can you create a reftest for this test? That can still be possible even
if you can not create a 4th div acting as a reference for the other 3

A reftest for such kind of test would be very worthy, valuable, relevant
because no browser right now supports writing-mode and text-orientation.

"Test passes if the *left* edge of black stripe is touching a thin blue
line (...)"

Shouldn't it be instead

Test passes if the *right* edge of black stripe is touching a thin blue

I do not see why the test requires
div {
        margin-top: 10px;

I do not see why the test requires
div {
        margin-bottom: 10px;

I am examining your other tests. As I said before, I believe your tests
are correct and well designed. You will need someone (Elika Etemad or
Koji Ishii) to review them.

In your tests, you also should be trying to create an nth div acting as
a reference in your tests. And then create associated reftests for your

uses a p#control. So, creating a reftest for this test should be easy to

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: