Re: Tests for CSS Regions + selection submitted for review

From: Rebecca Hauck <rhauck@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:03:48 -0800
To: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
CC: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>, Mihnea-Vlad Ovidenie <mihnea@adobe.com>

On 2/13/13 4:42 PM, "Gérard Talbot" <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:

>Le Mer 13 février 2013 18:44, Rebecca Hauck a écrit :
>> Hi Gerard,
>> Thanks for taking the time to look at these. I probably should have
>> mentioned that Regions are not fully implemented or enabled.
>Now the Details field text says
>"Regions are not enabled": so this is already more useful, relevant
>feedback from the scripts of the test.
>> To run the
>> tests and see them pass, you can enable regions in Chrome in the
>> about://flags and Enabling 'Experimental Webkit features'  Also, since
>> these are prefixed properties, the -webkit- prefix will need to be added
>> to the flow-into and flow-from properties (2 references in the .css
>> file,
>> one in the .js file).
>> As we'll be submitting more tests soon for Regions and Exclusions (also
>> requiring this additional step), how do you recommend we convey upon
>> submission to the W3C? Just in the email to this list or should there be
>> comment in the test file?  If the latter, then the test would need to be
>> updated at some point when they're fully enabled - not sure that's
>> desirable.
>The latter (just my opinion) ... if I understand what you're saying ...

After thinking about this a bit more, I decided not to include
instructions for how to enable the feature in the tests. It's clear when
the feature is not enabled by the test failure and if/when this is fully
implemented, it should eventually be enabled by default.

>> Either way, you should see failure if you run them in a UA where Regions
>> is not implemented or enabled.
>Yes: there is now a message in the Details section at the bottom of the
>test page.
>> This is probably why you saw them fail
>> automatically. These tests are (I think) unique in that they only
>> require
>> you the tester to move the mouse. You needn't verify anything (I.e.,
>> there
>> is no "the test passes if©") because once the manual execution is done,
>> JS
>> does the rest.
>That is what I thought too. The most important/relevant test results can
>only be gotten, updated once, after manual text selection ended
>> As I mentioned, they're this way to use the same tests
>> here
>> and in Webkit.  I considered adding a sentence along the lines of "All
>> of
>> the tests below should pass." for additional clarity to the manual
>> tester.
>>  Do you think that would help?
>"All of the tests below should pass.": hmm...
>"Test has been completed (text selection ended) and results are now
>... ?  I don't know... not sure.

Ok added a message that now appears after the test assertions finish
execution.  Things should be clearer now to the manual tester.