Re: 4 issues with background-position-applies-to-001 [RC6]

Le Jeu 26 avril 2012 0:55, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-position-applies-to-001.htm
>
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/background-position-applies-to-001.htm
>
> 1-
> Height set on an element with display set to table-cell will be rendered
> differently among browsers. As far as I know, this issue has not been
> clarified yet.
>
> eg.: The used height of div#cell is 90px (and not 96px) in Firefox 11.0,
> Opera 11.62
>
> The displayed height of div#cell is 96px although its computed height
> value as given by Konqueror 4.8.2's DOMtreeviewer and Chrome
> 18.0.1025.162's web inspector tool is 0: this seems like a bug.
>
> So, the test is passed regardless of the used height of div#cell; if the
> div#cell's used height is 90px, then I think it should be a fail. There
> is dedicated test in the test suite on this btw:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/height-table-cell-001.htm
>
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/testcase/height-table-cell-001/
>
> and its status is Specification Issue. It would be great if such
> specification issue was clarified soon.
>
> 2-
> If background-image, background-position are set for an element with
> display set to table-row-group, then such background-image (right side
> and bottom side) should be partially covered by the border of the cell.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#table-layers
> The resulting layout should be a 12px by 12px blue square and not a 15px
> by 15px blue square: we should see 12px by 12px of blue from that 15px
> by 15px blue square.
>
> The test as worded gives no indication of how tall and large the blue
> area should be.
>
> As far as I can see this, the blue area I see is 12px by 12px in Firefox
> 11, Opera 11.62 and Konqueror 4.8.2 but it is 15px by 15px in Chrome
> 18.0.1025.162.
>
> So, right here, I'd say all 4 tested browsers fail this test. I have not
> checked yet IE8 nor IE9.
>
> 3- The test uses a single cell and a single row to test background
> positioning on an element with display set to 'table-row-group'. This is
> definitely not ideal and it may give false, unreliable results. We
> already know of a test on background positioning on a table-row which
> was reporting a false positive. See
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2011Sep/0040.html
>
> 4- The test declares 'table-layout: fixed' but the table does not have a
> set width. Generally speaking, setting 'table-layout: fixed' on an
> element with display set to 'table' should have a specified width,
> otherwise it is not useful, otherwise it's pointless.
>
> 5- A quick, superficial look indicates that several
> background-position-applies-to-* may have some or all of the same issues
> [...]

New tests:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/background-position-applies-to-001a.html

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/background-position-applies-to-001b.html

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/background-position-applies-to-001c.html

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/background-position-applies-to-001d.html

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/background-position-applies-to-001e.html

Firefox 12.0, Opera 11.62 pass all 5 tests.

Chrome 18.0.1025.162, Safari 5.1.5 and Konqueror 4.8.2 fail all 5 tests.

IE 8 passes 001a but fails the other 4.

The 5th test (001e) will have to be reevaluated once
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/height-table-cell-001.htm
(1) has been approved. It is an important test that has border of a cell
overlapping bottom right area of tbody element.

(1):
http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/testcase/height-table-cell-001/

> There was another issue with that test which ... I can't remember right
> now..

I remember now. If the test
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-position-applies-to-001.htm
or
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/background-position-applies-to-001.htm
is wrong, incorrect and is a false positive, then it may mean that some
"17.5.1 Table layers and transparency" (eg
table-layer-transparency-006.htm) tests are weak or too easy to pass or
can not fail or are not really testing what they claim to be testing.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: