Re: Comments on [RC6] background-position-applies-to-004, vertical-align-117, vertical-align-118

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:55:44 -0700
To: "Arron Eicholz" <arron.eicholz@microsoft.com>

Le Mer 7 septembre 2011 15:12, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :
> Arron,
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-position-applies-to-004.htm
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/background-position-applies-to-004.htm
> This testcase is supposed to test background-position applied to a
> table-row. Now, if the table-row has only 1 single cell, then how can
> such testcase be different from testing background-position being
> applied to a table-cell?
> My point is that to give a honest, good challenge to browsers, such
> testcase should make the table-row have 2 cells at minimum, and ideally
> the table should have at least 2 table-rows.
> All this is furthermore justified if other testcases demonstrate
> failures in some browsers. The testcase I have in mind here is
> http://the-dees.webs.com/iepp1/55-tr-bg-position.html

There are 2 other testcases already on background-position and table-row
in 'border-collapse: separate' in the test suite.

Also for CSS table:

Those 2 table-backgrounds-bs-row-00[1, 2] testcases are failed by IE9
and Chrome 14.0.835.186 but background-position-applies-to-004 is passed
by IE9 and Chrome 14.0.835.186. So, in my opinion, this demonstrates
that background-position-applies-to-004 is imprecise and give false

background-position-applies-to-004 should be removed because it is
duplicate or it should be redesigned. Either way, it should not remain
in the test suite as it is.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

CSS 2.1 test suite harness: