Are self-describing reftests required?

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:46:56 -0700
To: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
Hey all,

There was some discussion on #whatwg this morning about where to go for
documentation on writing CSS3 tests that will be accepted. Looking at the
links on these pages:

I see a page on writing reftests, but none of the other pages say much about
them. The only mention of reftests I could find was the match/mismatch
metadata. In particular, there's nothing that requires a submitted test be a
self-describing reftest. I am under the impression that self-describing
reftests are vastly preferred, if not outright required.

Are reftests a requirement, a strong preference, or something less? If it's
one of the first two, shouldn't the test suite documentation and test
writing guidelines mention them?