Re: Support reference links in reftests on WebKit

Hi Peter,
Thank you for the explanation. That's really helpful for me to
understand the current situation.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM, Linss, Peter <peter.linss@hp.com> wrote:
> There's no harm in supporting the links in your testing system, but the only reason you'd need to is if you want to run tests without performing the build process.

Thank you. We don't have a plan to 'build' tests. So we are going to
support only reftests which have reference links.

> Note that the more significant change here is the switch to reference chains and you should modify your testing system to support them either way. Specifically, if test 'A' has two 'match' references, 'B' and 'C', the old system would define:
> == A B
> == A C
>
> whereas the new system defines this as:
> == A B
> == B C
> == C B   (not entirely necessary, but there for completeness)

Yeah, it looks unnecessary to test B and C. I think there is an
equivalence relation in all rendering results of test files.

> or as links in the sources:
> in 'A':
> <link rel='match' href='B' />
> <link rel='match' href='C' />
>
> in 'B':
> <link rel='mismatch' href='C' />
>
> in 'C':
> <link rel='mismatch' href='B' />
>
> This allows much more flexible definitions of match/mismatch relationships. Note that the references may chain though multiple arbitrary levels and there will be cycles that need to be detected and resolved.

The last example is very useful for me to understand how reference
links work in the new system. Thank you.

Let me ask one question. Does 'EITHER' apply to only 'match'? If a
reftest test file has two 'mismatch' entries, does that mean 'AND'?

For example, does the following html mean ((A != B) AND (A != C))?

A:
  <link ref='mismatch' href='B'>
  <link ref='mismatch' href='C'>

--