Re: Are self-describing reftests required?

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:10:57 -0400
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
On Thursday 2011-08-25 07:46 -0700, Alan Stearns wrote:
> I see a page on writing reftests, but none of the other pages say much about
> them. The only mention of reftests I could find was the match/mismatch
> metadata. In particular, there's nothing that requires a submitted test be a
> self-describing reftest. I am under the impression that self-describing
> reftests are vastly preferred, if not outright required.

I think requiring that reftests be self-describing would be a huge
mistake; in many cases it significantly incresaes (i.e., multiplies
by a small integer) the amount of work that the test author has to
do.  If this became a requirement, I would insist on revisiting the
decision that test submission is a requirement to drop prefixes.

-David

𝄢   Mozilla Corporation               http://www.mozilla.com/   𝄂