Re: overflow inside table cell

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:07:06 -0700
To: Onivis Yhonay d'Izeworudi <yhonay@gmail.com>
CC: public-css-testsuite@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

Onivis Yhonay d'Izeworudi wrote:
> I'm not sure if I'm posting to right list so excuse me
> if I'm not and point me to right one.
>
> What is a correct way to render block element with
> 'overflow: scroll' (with very long content like img
> bigger than browser window or unwrappable text) if
> that block is inside table cell?
>
> Some examples:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=294513
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=319280
>
> Some browsers like Opera and Firefox 2 (and most of
> browsers based on it's engine) make such a block
> scrollable while IE, Safari (and those based on WebKit)
> and Firefox 3 extends such a table, and adds scrollbar
> to whole page.

Hi,
The correct list for spec questions is www-style@w3.org.
As for your question, if the table is "table-layout: auto;"
then the behavior isn't really defined in the CSS specs.
For "table-layout: fixed" the table cells should not
stretch, and therefore neither should the <div>s.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#fixed-table-layout